Early morning musings from the southern hemisphere

It’s four-thirty in the morning in Melbourne. I’m wide awake because I’m a genius and left the ambien in my checked luggage. But I don’t care. I can’t care. Right now, (and I know I will regret these thoughts in a dozen hours when it is midnight back home and my limbs and brain separate and become blobs of body parts unwilling to move or think or do) jet lag doesn’t matter – doesn’t exist. I’m flying to Australia.

Me.

In flight.

TO OZ.

My body is calmer now than it was on the way to the airport, more subdued, accepting. A half-hearted sleepiness, the immobility of being confined to a middle seat for the past 11 hours, the soothing voices of Rascal Flatts streaming through bright blue Virgin Australia headphones, and the blood orange sunset (sunrise?) I can see through the tiny postage-stamp window at the far end of the row – all wrap around me like a warm fleece blanket.

My body is calm. My legs feel sluggish. My glossy eyes peer slowly through splotchy, smudged glasses.

But my mind – oh! My mind is bubbling with excitement. My mind is dancing and jumping and flying through the upcoming year. I’ve never felt like this before – everything feels bigger (except my airplane seat… guess it didn’t get the memo). I’m not scared, I’m terrified. And I’m not just happy – I feel ecstatic and full of life and chance. Full of possibility.

I don’t even care that I left the address to our hostel at home. Or that I forgot to call VISA to let them know I’ll be traveling and to pretty please not cancel my card and prevent me from accessing any money at all. Because hey! It’s almost breakfast time, and do you know what that means? FREE BOOZE. (oh, and more importantly of course, that we land in three hours!)

I think I’m going to fit in just fine.

With love,

the traveling stahr…

Anonymous –   – (February 8, 2010 at 10:23 PM)  

HEYY!!! I am at a conference in Quebec City and your blog was the first thing that I checked when I got into my hotel room and turned on my laptop. I am so excited for you! You have landed by now, but keep smiling even through all the set-backs when you get there (cause they WILL happen). Love from snowy Quebec :)
Meghan B

Anonymous –   – (February 9, 2010 at 7:51 PM)  

LAUREN!!! The blog looks great! I'm going to read it allllll the time! Glad to hear you're safe and sound, miss you tons already :)

Pet a wallaby for me
xoyourfavoritesister

Anonymous –   – (February 9, 2010 at 11:32 PM)  

Lauren-
Thanks for sending me the link. The blog looks great. Where are you staying now? Is it summer there?
Did anybody say "eh" yet?
Love Roseann

Unknown  – (February 10, 2010 at 12:05 PM)  

Soo glad you made it safely! I just know you're going to have the best time ever! Live it up girl, this is a once in a lifetime chance!
Love from McGinty's
Meg

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP