The Great Ocean Road, L’Ultimo Capitolo (The Last Chapter)

The beautiful, breathtaking Twelve Apostles.

When they were first discovered, they were affectionately called “Sow and Piglets” (the big one – Loch Ard Gorge – was the sow, and the smaller stacks were the piglets), but their name was changed in the 1950s.

Not all twelve remain today. Time passes as time is known to do, and the constant battery of wind, water and rain cause the limestone pillars to fall.

But just as the violent ocean erosion brings these colossal columns to their knees, it continuously carves and crafts new Apostles out of the winding, ever-changing coastline.

Our first stop along the Twelve Apostles was Port Campbell, and our tour guide Clancy announced that there would be a special tour discount price for helicopter rides, if anyone was interested.

I thought a helicopter ride sounded awfully decadent. I don’t need to spend money to buzz around these beautiful rocks – I can see them just fine from here!

Oh, how wrong was I…

Curtis, Becky and I finally decided to splurge because, hey, I might only get this one chance, right? Except, from the moment that wobbly copter floated off the ground and long after it had hovered back to safety 15 minutes later, I knew it would not be my last flight.

But I’m getting ahead of myself!

First let me introduce our handsome pilot.


Swoon… I have a thing for dimples. But for anyone who has ever seen Curtis, that’s old news.

But I snapped out of it, I had pictures to take! And miles of coastline to absorb and inhale. A sweet and stunning breath.




Curtis snapped a few beautiful close-ups from the front seat.


All too soon after we had drifted up, up, up and away, we descended through the clouds and floated back down to the landing pad. As we squeezed out of the tiny cab, my body was buzzing.

Here I am, apparently trying to swallow the sky.

I was jumping up and down with adrenaline, and struggling to speak over the roar of the chopper and the wave of my excitement. I yelled spastically back to Becky.

That was! One of the coolest things! I have ever done!

Our bodies still humming with happiness, we piled back into the van and headed to our two final tour stops, the Loch Ard Gorge and the London Bridge.




Alas, as the sun descended upon the horizon, we began our journey back to the city, salty and tired, but oh, so incredibly happy.

A few days later, we were forced to say goodbye to Dave, Nicola, Becky and Hinnerk. (I suppose that's what I get for bonding with backpackers!) But, at the risk of sounding cliché, we will always have the memories...



Lots of love,

the traveling stahr...

Anonymous –   – (March 26, 2010 at 12:27 PM)  

Oh, what a wonderful day you had! Turns out, I also went to that koala park that you visited. I, for one, really wanted to cuddle one, but then I noticed their claws... In any case, I'm so glad you had fun. Great pictures! Keep them coming please. And let me know if you ever go to Frazer Island. Seriously. Worth. It.
Meg

Anonymous –   – (March 27, 2010 at 3:53 PM)  

Amazing!! Those pictures are beautiful! I am glad that you guys decided to opt for the helicopter ride, how often do you get to do that, right?? Keep the stories coming!
LOVE always, Meg (as in, Meghan Brown...since another Meg has already posted! hehe)

Anonymous –   – (April 8, 2010 at 2:55 PM)  

WHAT IS YOUR LIFE. FLY ME OVER IMMEDIATELY.

xoxApril

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP