Day 10. Finally, a Waitress.

Today was the day! After nine mind numbing shifts of scrubbing, polishing, cleaning and generally feeling like an indentured servant, I was finally granted permission to learn the computer system. This meant—assuming I wasn’t the moron he presumed me to be—I could begin taking customers.

“You come in one hour early for unpaid training,” Bashir had ordered the night before.

Ya, ya… I don't care if it’s unpaid. Just let me talk to PEOPLE! I salivated hungrily at the thought of actually being allowed to interact with customers, and be a proper waitress.

“And then if you’re good enough, you take some tables.” His eyes looked condescendingly down upon mine.

Oh, I'll be good enough, you Stupid Bald Man. I'll be so damn good, you'll be sorry you had me playing Cinderella for the last week and a half.

But as I walked to work, the previous night’s confidence vanished. I became panicky and unsure. Maybe Bashir was right to hold me back from taking orders. Maybe I couldn’t do it yet. Maybe I wasn’t ready. Didn’t understand the intricacies of the restaurant. Maybe I—NO. I was not going to do this. I was not going to doubt myself.

Right?

The training hour came and went, and although he sneered and sighed, Bashir granted me permission to begin taking tables. I was still timid, having felt held back and belittled for the previous week and a half, but I reminded myself of what I knew, I can do this.

Apart from constant interruption (“No, Laureen. You do not box up the pizzas. The customers have to box them up themselves.” or worse, “No, Laureen. You do not carry three plates. You do not have the strong muscles.”) I had a good night. I was smiling consistently for what seemed like the first time since I set foot in the restaurant, and it felt good. 

For now.

♥, ts...

Allison  – (May 19, 2010 at 6:08 PM)  

You're so patient for keeping up with this job! I hate this man. I hope you're well :) xo

Jessica  – (May 20, 2010 at 6:40 AM)  

Lauren,

I have to admit I've been lax on checking your blog of late - but i just read your last two entries about that ridiculous man who employs you and laughed out loud several times inside an exceedingly quiet internet cafe. I totally miss you and the way you make me laugh, which I just experienced for the first time in way too long.

I think you have very strong muscles. Go ahead and carry four plates and then spill them on the glass window divider between dining rooms like I did when I was a struggling waitress, or else on Vashir's shirt when he distracts you to tell you what you're doing wrong. Hahahaa

Take care of yourself, dear, and don't take any crap! Just remember, he may be in charge, but at least you have your hair.

Love, Jess

Anonymous –   – (June 8, 2010 at 12:18 PM)  

I have also been lax in reading your blog of late but I have just caught myself up :) Keep going with Mr. Mean Man, Laur. It's probably been a long time since anyone bothered to actually hear what his pain is about. Until you came in that is!!! MUAh. :)

Love - EM

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP